The NHS (National Health Service) is the largest employer in the UK employing nursing professionals from all over the world. If you are looking to pursue a nursing job in the UK, you will definitely need to have relevant and up to date references.
Continue reading to find out why proper references are crucial to secure a nursing job within the NHS.
What is a reference check?
All NHS organizations have a statutory obligation to conduct checks on their employees. Your NHS trust will check your employment history over the last 3 years. It is your responsibility to provide relevant references from your employers. Ideally, you will want to provide references from nursing managers that you have reported directly to.
How can you prepare for the reference check process?
- While applying for an international nurse job within the NHS, you will need reference to the last 3 years of your nursing career.
- In case you have worked at the same employer for the past 3 years, you can provide all the references from this employer.
- If you have been working for multiple employers, you will need to secure references from every employer you have worked for during the past 3 years.
- You will also need to ensure the references are from senior members you have directly reported to. They should be able to speak clearly about your skills and performance on the job.
- Let your references know that you have provided their names as references. It is important to also notify them that they will be asked to comment on your ability to undertake the duties and responsibilities in your new nursing role within the NHS.
How can you present your references on your CV?
You can mention that your references are “available upon request” or you can provide referees information in the following format on your CV.
[Prefix] [First Name] [Second Name], [job title], [organisation], [location]
In case you can’t find a suitable referee, you can contact the HR department at the hospital you worked at and they can provide you with a basic reference covering your dates of employment, job title and other pertinent information.
I hope the above details about the type of references required for NHS nursing jobs was helpful.
If you are an international nurse looking to secure a nursing job in the UK, please email your CV and IELTS/OET details to firstname.lastname@example.org and we can help you find your dream job in the UK.
At Global Nurse Force, we have helped thousands of nurses secure rewarding careers in the UK. We can help you too!